Re: Car Types for Team Tracks

Aley, Jeff A

Gary,

It is useful to consider why the "Industrial Guide" was published (and given away). I believe the intent was for "Business to Business" transactions. In other words, if I had something to ship, I could look and see what potential new customers were available ("coincidentally" served by the GN). Or, if I want to buy something, I can similarly look for suppliers (again, that would ship by the GN).

Some local freight agents would apparently list every single industry they could find, and if they weren't rail-served, they'd list them as "Team Track". My point is that a listing in the book doesn't necessarily mean that such a shipment (from a team track) ever really happened.

Regards,

-Jeff

Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 9:54 AM
To: STMFC
Subject: [STMFC] Car Types for Team Tracks

I have been going through the January 1, 1961 Great Northern Railway Industrial Guide for points served by it and other railroads. The scope of team track usage amazes me since it covers from coffins to Edsels to Hamms beer to paving machinery and on and on. Here are the uses that i am not sure what type of freight car would be used (no, i am not listing pipe, threaded or not):
1- boats; flatcars?
2- fish; refrigerator cars?
3- elevators (as in Otis) boxcars?
4- steel products (its not more specific) gondolas?
5- soft drinks (i assume vending machines) boxcars?
6- vitamins; refrigerator cars?
7- pilings; flat cars or gondolas?
8- candy/tobacco; refrigerators?
9- potato chips (its listed at multiple locations) refrigerators?
10- ferns , as in plants ? no idea
11- fireworks? no clue and for Mike Brock..
12- jailhouse supplies? brig cars?

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock
vasa0vasa@earthlink.net<mailto:vasa0vasa%40earthlink.net>

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.