Floor-level ice decks?

David Soderblom

Sorry to be late to the party, but this is in response to Tim O's posting on Nov. 22. I didn't
see anyone bring up what seems ot me the most remarkable thing about this photo, which is
the presence of an ice-loading deck which is at the height of the car floors.

Why in the world? Every other ice-loading deck I've ever seen in a photo is for loading ice
into bunkers from roof level. What use is ice at floor level? Obviously this deck did it
regularly, for there are the machine-driven chains to drag the blocks along.

BTW, the second deck on the left is for dumping salt into the bunkers after they were iced,
generally for meat reefers.

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD 21210
david.soderblom@gmail.com