Re: Floor-level ice decks?

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

David Soderblom wrote:
Sorry to be late to the party, but this is in response to Tim O's posting on Nov. 22. I didn't see anyone bring up what seems ot me the most remarkable thing about this photo, which is the presence of an ice-loading deck which is at the height of the car floors.
Why in the world? Every other ice-loading deck I've ever seen in a photo is for loading ice into bunkers from roof level. What use is ice at floor level?
Presumably for bringing in ice to this facility, in ice-service reefers. Such decks are pretty common once you look at a bunch of photos. You're right, it is NOT useful for icing through the roof hatches.

Publishers of books on railroad history