Re: Resin Casting

mwbpequod

Thanks, Earl!

They are a work-horse of a pump and at that price can't be beat;
their tolerance for abuse is exceptional as well. I'd only worry a
little about flat surfaces and the novice experiencing implosion
possibilities. I've imploded some glassware with those in my youth...

Thanks again for all the good info!

Martin Brechbiel

Yes, that's a 1402. I got it used for $300. There are a lot of
them
available on the used market. I took it apart, cleaned it up,
added
new oil and it runs like a champ. The only problem with it
(besides
being really heavy) was that the original 1/2 HP motor had
problems
getting it started. So I upgraded it to a 3/4HP motor with a
heavy
start winding. It is overkill as far as volume flow is concerned,
but
the larger oil capacity and overall design makes it less sensitive
contaminants than HVAC pumps. You really do need the high vacuum
levels it produces to degas some of the thicker resin formulations
occasionally use.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Brechbiel" <martinwb@> wrote:

One question - Is that a Sargent-Welch 1402 vac pump you're
using
and
do you really need that much of a pump? I've 8 of them in my
labs
and
properly plumbed up they can draw a very serious vacuum...

Martin Brechbiel