From: Don Worthy <don_worthy@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:25:16 -0800 (PST)
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Light tanks and Half-tracks in gondolas and on flat
cars, 1950

Thanks Kurt, after I wrote "M3" and hit send, I double checked and
discovered that they were in fact M5s. You're "dead on".
I'll send the shot in question. I'm unaware of the T-29 - 32's. The WWII and
Korea era books that I have show all Shermans, M-26, 26A1s, 46, 47 and on to
M48.
There is much that I've yet to learn.
Thanks again
Don Worthy

--- On Mon, 12/22/08, Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@verizon.net

From: Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@verizon.net <mailto:fleeta%40verizon.net> >
cars, 1950
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Monday, December 22, 2008, 7:50 PM

Don, these are M5A1 light tanks, produced 1942-44. Although classified
obsolete at the end of the war they were kept on hand to fill out numerical
requirements until something better came along. Many of these were probably
"new-old stock", held in storage at depots from the day they were built.
With the fall of China to the CCP in 1949, they were no doubt sent because
they could be spared.

The heavy tank is probably a T29, T30, or T32. If you want to send me the
URL I can ID it for you.

KL