From: Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Brakeman riding car
To: STMFC@...
Date: Wednesday, December 24, 2008, 8:52 AM

Some roads did have an SOP to open journal box lids on cars before they
went over the hump. I recall seeing an AAR-published photo of this.

Cars are usually moved over a hump at about 1 to 2 MPH. It would be an
easy matter for one carman to open journal box lids and another to
subsequently squirt oil into journal boxes at this speed.

But many roads preferred to have carmen check journal boxes on standing
cars in yards, filling or topping them up as necessary. Some CN yards
had dispensers for journal box oil at various locations within the
yard.

Steve Lucas.