From: Dennis Storzek <destorzek@mchsi.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:19 am
Subject: [STMFC] Re:Coal in boxcar

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Baker" <bakert@...> wrote:

It was a revelation to me to see that bulk coal was sometimes
shipped in box cars. I knew that bagged coal often came in box cars
but had no idea that bulk coal also came that way. Was that a fairly
common practice. I doubt that the car depicted in the photo would
ever again have been used in grain service or would it?

Tom
Why not? Grain needs to be screened after it's milled, and any coal
dust would go away with the chaff.

It's milled flour that needed clean cars.

Dennis