Re: "Blister panel" terminology

Ed Hawkins

On Dec 31, 2008, at 2:23 PM, Martin McGuirk wrote:

Can anyone point to a definitive industry (not model railroad) term
for "blister panels" - the bulging panels used on some hopper cars???

I've heard the term "offset panels" used but can't find a verifiable
source for the real name.
I don't know how official this terminology is, but MoPac had some twin
hopper cars rebuilt in 1936 with what the MP diagram specifies as
"Paneled Sides." The diagram further states that some cars were rebuilt
with "Straight Sides."
Ed Hawkins

Join to automatically receive all group messages.