Re: hand brake locations.

Bruce Smith

"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

I believe that the original question referred to the standard position of
horizontal shaft brakewheels in the steam era (high) versus the current
standard position (low), although it could easily have been asking for the
transition from vertical shaft to horizontal shaft... As noted earlier,
the former was well beyond the scope of this list. The latter is less
clear. I'm not sure that there was a specific ban on vertical shaft
handbrakes in the era covered by this list, as I do not see anything in
the AAR interchange listing in the group files. There were some related
rules, such as the requirement for geared handbrakes on new or rebuilt
cars circa 1937, but I will note that there were some vertical shaft
geared handbrakes...

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Fri, January 2, 2009 9:42 am, Larry Jackman wrote:
I left the Santa Fe in 1955 and there were still staff brakes above
the roof then.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@...

On Jan 2, 2009, at 9:27 AM, Eric Carlson wrote:

Group,

This is most likely a easy question but I can not find the answer.
I am wondering when did it become out-lawed to have the brake wheel on the
top of the car? I am modeling the early 50s and wonder if I need to
switch my cars over. Thanks

Eric Carlson