Stripping Trix UP boxcar

Robert kirkham

Tom, that's interesting as I have some of these cars to work on too. I wonder about what temperature your ultrasonic cleaner raises the temperature of the cleaning fluid to? I don't have one, but could raise the temperature in other less sophisticated ways (in a closed container - I don't think the fumes are a good idea to have around).

Rob Kirkham

From: "Tom Madden" <tgmadden@worldnet.att.net>
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 3:08 PM
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Stripping Trix UP boxcar

That did the trick, but it wasn't straightforward. Soaking for half
an hour and scrubbing with an old toothbrush eventually took off the
large UNION PACIFIC and BE SPECIFIC lettering pretty cleanly, but the
smaller lettering was unmoved. So, into the ultrasonic cleaner and,
once the energy of the ultrasonic had heated the Wash Away, the
lettering and all the paint literally blew off the shell. (I put the
Wash Away in a tall jar, and put that into the ultrasonic cleaner,
which had a couple inches of water in it.) So now I'm removing the
roof from the model and will replace it with a correct IMWX/Red
Caboose roof.
Guess I'll strip and reletter my Trix A-50-19 while I'm at it.

Tom Madden