Central Valley 5' Arch Bar trucks.

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

I unearthed my cache of these handsome trucks and tested their rollability on the Reboxx Rolltester as follows:

(0-5 Not Acceptable. 6-10 Poor. Good/Acceptable 11-15. Very Good 16-20. Superior 21 and up).

OEM wheels: 6/7/6: Borderline unacceptable/poor.
Reboxx 1.025" wheels: 10/11/10: just barely above the poor, but in the /goodacceptable range.
Reboxx 1.030" wheels: 9/9/10: Almost acceptable, but still poor. Minimal sideplay, however.

Lubrication caused no improvement in rollability.

The appearance of these trucks with their new narrow wheels was improved to an exponential degree.

With their projecting exposed narrow wheels , these are the trucks I will use on Al Westerfield' s fine new Summers Ore cars until something better comes along. Now, if I can only adapt the Kadee brake gear to fit these 5' trucks....

BTW, if one was to stock up on only one length of Reboxx wheels, 1.025" would seem to a worthy bet, with some 1.020" and 1.015" axle sets on the side. These (1.025") are the consistent best for the popular Accurail AAR trucks (maximum rollability combined with minimum axle sideplay. Ditto with Branchline trucks).

Brian Leppart's fine Tahoe trucks are sized to best use the the Reboxx or Intermountain nominal 1.015" axle lengths (but the current new IM production of 1.007" axle sets introduce excessive axle sideplay).

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento