Re: Central Valley 5' Arch Bar trucks.

Tim O'Connor

Denny

The problem with the "roll tester" is that it can't measure
how the trucks perform with a car on them.

On my workbench I have an incline and just let the car roll
as far as it can freely -- typically 5 to 7 feet for a good
free roller, 10 feet for an exceptional roller, and lesser
distances mean that it needs work.

What did you lube them with?

Tim O'Connor

I unearthed my cache of these handsome trucks and tested their
rollability on the Reboxx Rolltester as follows:

(0-5 Not Acceptable. 6-10 Poor. Good/Acceptable 11-15. Very Good
16-20. Superior 21 and up).

OEM wheels: 6/7/6: Borderline unacceptable/poor.
Reboxx 1.025" wheels: 10/11/10: just barely above the poor, but in
the /goodacceptable range.
Reboxx 1.030" wheels: 9/9/10: Almost acceptable, but still poor.
Minimal sideplay, however.

Lubrication caused no improvement in rollability.

The appearance of these trucks with their new narrow wheels was
improved to an exponential degree.

With their projecting exposed narrow wheels , these are the trucks I
will use on Al Westerfield' s fine new Summers Ore cars until
something better comes along. Now, if I can only adapt the Kadee brake
gear to fit these 5' trucks....

BTW, if one was to stock up on only one length of Reboxx wheels,
1.025" would seem to a worthy bet, with some 1.020" and 1.015" axle
sets on the side. These (1.025") are the consistent best for the
popular Accurail AAR trucks (maximum rollability combined with minimum
axle sideplay. Ditto with Branchline trucks).

Brian Leppart's fine Tahoe trucks are sized to best use the the Reboxx
or Intermountain nominal 1.015" axle lengths (but the current new IM
production of 1.007" axle sets introduce excessive axle sideplay).

Denny