NKP pre-war brown color

Dean Payne

I know it's dangerous to base a question about color based on what
color a model is painted... but the Proto 2000 NKP 50' box and the Des
Plaines Hobbies 40' box (as well as their Erie siblings, both being Van
Sweringen roads) are painted a distinct brown color. I have a
Westerfield 1916 design box car that I will need to paint, the
recommendation is "box car brown". Checking the archives, one of the
recommended colors is Floquil ATSF Mineral Brown, but that comes out
redder than BCR, not at all a match for the brown that Proto and Des
Plaines used, but perhaps a better match for a post-WWII color.
How did Proto and Des Plaines arrive at their pre-war color, I wonder?
I would expect their research to be pretty good (we won't mention some
other mfgrs...) More importantly, is it correct for pre-war, and if
so, what is a close match?
I've posted the same question on the NKPHTS site, and we haven't come
up with anyting definite.

Dean Payne