Re: Potato shipping

MDelvec952

In frozen climates the spuds were also shipping in reefers, but heater pots were placed in the ice bunkers to keep the lading from freezing. They were oil-burning devices with big fuel tanks.

I've also seen correspondence about bagged potatoes arriving at our State Asylum at Greystone in standard boxcars during mild weather.

....Mike

In a message dated 01/26/09 19:02:55 Eastern Standard Time, rhendrickson@opendoor.com writes:
Michael, the Santa Fe shipped potatoes in the 1950s in SFRD reefers
with no ice in the bunkers and the hatch covers latched open in the
ventilator position. At least, that's how the potato crop from the
Central Valley of California was shipped, and I assume it would have
been the same elsewhere.