Re: Freight Car Distribution on smaller RRs

Jack Burgess

Mike wrote:
There is a video tape...I probably have it...of a short line in the
Cascades. It showed Pennsy and NYC box cars on its trains. This
showing took
place about 10 yrs ago so I can't recall more. I'll try to find the tape.
I've often heard the comment that everyone needs some Pennsy and NYC cars
just because there were so many of them...I have my share even though they
don't show up in any documentation I have yet found.

BTW...Switchlists from 1944 (after the on-line Yosemite Portland Cement
plant closed down which ultimately resulted in the YV's demise and a year of
so after my modeling month/year) show a number of loaded LNE covered hoppers
showing up on the YV from the Merced SP interchange and being moved by the
YV to the closed YPC plant just outside of Merced. I finally figured out
that these cars were hauling bulk cement from the Kaiser Permanente cement
plant near Cupertino in the Bay Area to Merced. Apparently, the Permanente
plant didn't have facilities for bagging cement since it was designed only
for bulk shipments. Kaiser bought the Merced cement operation in June 1944
and then started shipping cement to this plant for bagging since the
Yosemite Portland Cement name was still in good standing....bagged Yosemite
Portland Cement was still being sold into the early 1960s. There is a clip
of some empty cement hoppers being pulled out of the spur to this plant
circa 1944 or 1945 on a clip that I posted to YouTube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmnwE07auPU

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com