Re: "Fascinated by the obscure"

armprem

Well,maybe not so obscure,but seeing an IC stock car,a Southern and CBQ hopper in northern New England left me scratching my head .Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charlie Duckworth" <trduck@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 6:58 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: "Fascinated by the obscure"

Tom, back when I was experimenting with computer generated
switchlists, one day the computer consigned four SFRD reefers
to a destination on a branchline that only occasionally got
one reefer at a time out of a mix of 6 or so non-hopper cars.
One of my former bosses on the Mopac had been an agent in western
Kansas in the 1950's. We were talking about ART reefers one day and I
asked if he'd seen them in service in any of the agencies he worked.
One winter an ART car was spotted at the freight dock and was loaded
with gallons of house paint from a firm in Kansas City consigned to a
local hardware store. He remembered it took him a couple of days to
unload the car into the freight room of the depot as he was working by
himself. Since oil paint doesn't freeze the Mopac had used the ART car
as a substitute for a normal boxcar during the off season.