Re: "Fascinated by the obscure"

George Courtney

Pure suppositon, but Southern loaded some coke in open hoppers which
could have been sent to the eastern Pa. area to a foundry or steel
mill and then were reloaded and sent into New England from there
rather than returned home.

George Courtney

On Sat, February 7, 2009 8:15 am, A. Premo wrote:
Well,maybe not so obscure,but seeing an IC stock car,a
Southern and
CBQ
hopper in northern New England left me scratching my
head .Armand Premo

Armand,

The hoppers are a puzzle someone else might address, but coming
up with a
plausible story for the stock car is relatively easy. Clearly,
it came
from the west, most likely the Chicago area. I don't know how
much
finished beef ended up being shipped for slaughter to New
England from
Chicago but that is definitely one possibility. Large amounts
certainly
traveled as far as New York. This car would simply have been an
available
empty at the point of loading. Headed in the "wrong direction"
according
to car service rules, but hey, they needed an empty (and we all
know by
now that car service rules were often ignored at the local
level)!
Another option would be the transfer of breeding cattle (most
likely
dairy) from a location on the IC to the location in New
England. After
all, it is doubtful that the IC had an empty Rutland car on hand
to load
<VBG>.

Regards
Bruce Smith