Boxcar construction details, C&EI 65000-65499

Mark Heiden

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some construction information about the Chicago &
Eastern Illinois 40ft boxcars in the series CEI 65000-65499. A
builder's photo of CEI 65095 is on the pay-side of the RPI website:

http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/displayimage.php?i=31827#

An in-service shot of CEI 65432 is at:

http://www.boxcars.us/Boxcars_A_M/C-CM/images/3C&EI,%2040'%20Single%
20Door%20Boxcar,%2065432.jpg

And a picture of CEI 65360 is on page 16 of Classic Freight Cars,
Volume 7.

My questions are:

1) These cars were built in at least two lots in 1951 and 1952. Which
car numbers were built which month and year? I have March 1951 for
65095, and April 1952 for 65360.

2) What sort of brakewheels were used? The shot of 65095 shows a
Champion brakewheel, while a shot of 65360 may show an Equipco
brakewheel.

3) What sort of running boards were utilized? I believe the photo of
65095 indicates a US Gypsum running board.

4) I think ASF A-3 Ride Control trucks were used on all cars in the
series. Is this correct?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden