Re: Helium Cars

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the capacity of the prototype is 200,000 lbs! Most cars were built with special heavier duty trucks, both friction bearing and in the sixties roller bearing. All were retired by 1998+/-. I have more prototype data if anyone is interested.

RIch C

--- On Fri, 2/13/09, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

From: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Helium Cars
To: STMFC@...
Date: Friday, February 13, 2009, 5:21 PM

That's about the equivalent of 7.5oz for an HO model -
less than many HO brass models. But in O scale I imagine
those are indeed tubes, and the brass walls, roof and floor
are closer to scale than they would be in HO. So an HO
brass model probably would come in closer to 12oz or more.

Tim

At 2/13/2009 06:08 PM Friday, you wrote:
My O scale PRB helium car weighs 2 lb. 13 oz. 30 discrete
tanks have been modeled; whether the tank models are tubes or
sold rod is unknown.

At the time the models were imported there was some banter
about a loaded real car weighing less than an empty car, which
of course we know is not correct.

Rod

Bruce Smith wrote:
On Fri, February 13, 2009 4:34 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
But if -every- tube is represented on the model, it must
weigh a ton!! Last night I weighed a Jaeger products poles
load (60 short sticks) and they weigh 2oz. Imagine if all
those sticks were made of brass...

Tim O'Connor

Tim,

You've got to "lighten up" man! Obviously, you fill them with HELIUM
<VBG>. Seriously though, you would use TUBING not SOLID ROD... That
would result in a nicely weighted car.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL