Re: Westerfield ACF Photo CD Electronic Index

bdg1210 <Bruce_Griffin@...>

Claus,

Thank you for both developing this helpful tool and most importantly
for sharing it with others for both critique and use. Do you model
B&O Steam Era Freight Cars? I sure could use some articles for the
B&O Modeler online magazine. It's to bad everyone does not have your
willingness to share their work. Again, thank you.

Best Regards,
Bruce D. Griffin
Summerfield, NC

--- In STMFC@..., "Claus Schlund (HGM)" <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

A while back, I purchased one of Al Westerfield's excellent ACF
Photo CDs.

The good part of this CD is that it has hundreds of lovely ACF
builders photos.

The bad part of this CD is that there is no simple electronic way
to search the CD contents. Things like, say, find all the photos of
PRR cars. Or find all the photos of tank cars. Or find all the cars
built in 1919.

In short, there is no electronic index of any sort, making it hard
to find what you are looking for other than by labor-intensive means.

To remedy this, I created such an index. It can be found at the url
below.

20CD%20Index/

If the url does not work, go to groups.yahoo.com, log in, go to the
STMFC group, go to the files section, and go to "Westerfield ACF
Photo CD Index".

There you will find an excel spreadsheet listing the CD file name,
road name, car number, build date, and car type.

While I did the grunt work of doing the data entry, I make no
ownership claim of this thing - everyone is free to use this as they
wish. For example, if Al would like to distribute it with the CD,
that is entirely fine with me.

As a rule, when doing the data entry, I took the builder's date
from the car lettering when available and legible, and if not, I used
what was indicated on the chalkboard found in some images.

I'm sure there are a million mistakes, they are all mine. In
particular, things like distinguishing reefers from insulated boxcars
was not always possible, so I guessed. Still, this is better than
what we had before, even with all the warts.

Enjoy - Claus Schlund