From: Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Helium Cars
To: STMFC@...
Date: Saturday, February 14, 2009, 9:02 AM

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. com, Anthony Thompson <thompson@.. .> wrote:

Rich C (don't know his last name) wrote:
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the capacity of the
prototype is 200,000 lbs! Most cars were built with special heavier
duty trucks, both friction bearing and in the sixties roller
bearing.
All were retired by 1998+/-.
Glad you said "+", since I saw several of them on the siding at
Cape Canaveral in 2006.

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress. com
Publishers of books on railroad history
I photographed MAHX 1301 and 1047 at Oro Grande, NM on a US Army siding
adjacent to White Sands Missile Range in June 1982 and MAHX 1211-A &
1211-B at Rincon, New Mexico on the Santa Fe in December 1989. The car
numbers 1211-A & 1211-B suggest a permanently couple pair of cars but I
don't recall ever checking that while I was there.

Gene Green