Re: Old Kits

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 15, 2009, at 8:23 PM, sparachuk wrote:
Richard: Is there something in what I wrote that makes you believe I
don't know it's bogus? I said, "it's kind of silly". Since the photo I
sent in hasn't been posted yet how can you be so sure it doesn't look
"pretty decent"?

As for your dismissal of nostalgia, if modelling something that
disappeared from the world fifty years ago, when I was barely ten
years old, in even the finest detail isn't based on nostalgia then
what is it based on?

Stephan, I'm sorry if I offended you. However, let me quote a part
of this list's statement of purpose:

"Emphasis is to be placed on the study of the prototype with a goal
of producing models of them with as great a degree of accuracy as
possible."

I think that might be paraphrased as "no tolerance for bogosity."
The whole point of the list is to share information about accurate
freight car modeling, not about vintage models that are known to be
inaccurate. In fact, it wasn't entirely clear to me that you did
know the Varney tank car is bogus, and in any event there are likely
to be other list subscribers who might not know that until it is
pointed out to them.

As for nostalgia, I don't dismiss it at all. On the contrary I am
myself - as you point out - nostalgic about the steam era railroads
of my youth. I'm also nostalgic about other things, like big band
swing music and '50s sports cars (some of which I was privileged to
own and drive, both in races and on the highway). For that matter,
it's no accident that my airplane is forty-one year old tube-and-
fabric taildragger. As it happens, I'm not at all nostalgic about
antique and inaccurate freight car models, but I have no quarrel with
those who are. I just don't want to discuss them on the STMFC list.

Richard Hendrickson