Re: Covered hopper gates

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 22, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
I'm doing some research on the likely dimensions of a particular
covered hopper, looking to assist a
small kit maker in producing a model. One question that came up is
whether the sliding hopper gates
on these cars were a standard size from the various manufacturers.

I've looked at my copies of the '43 and '61 Car Builder's Cycs. On
page 298 and 496 of the '43 Cyc,
it shows "Enterprise Bulk Commodity Outlets" as applied to a two-
bay 70-ton AAR LO. (Does anyone
know what prototype car the drawing is for?) The drawing on 298
dimensions the hoppers as 13" x
24", longitudinally by laterally.

Schuyler, all of the Santa Fe's early 1958 cu. ft. covered hoppers,
whether built by AC&F or GATC, had standard Enterprise discharge
gates, whose outlet dimensions were 13" X 24". That dimension also
turns up on in the folio diagrams for two and three bay covered
hoppers of several other RRs, so I think it is safe to assume that
(1) the Enterprise gates were the industry standard and (2) the
standard dimensions of the discharge openings were 13" X 24". That
doesn't, of course, definitively answer the question of whether the
particular cars with which you are concerned were so equipped.

Richard Hendrickson