From: Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@yahoo.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: coke -- a consumer product in 1950?
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 7:29 AM

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. com, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@ ...> wrote:

Is this a dealer that sells coke (for homes? business?)
or a producer of coke? (in which case those coal cars
would be arriving with ordinary coal I guess)
http://tbn0. google.com/ hosted/images/ c?q=e67ae0d61d79 f076_large
I suspect most of us think of coke as a fuel used only by heavy
industry, primarily in steel making. That said, this certainly looks
more like a dealer in coke, with no coking furnaces showing. Years
ago someone indicated to me that coke was sometimes used to heat
residential housing, though that seems a stretch to me. But the
amount of green in the photo leads me to think the area in which it
was taken was not a "heavily industrial area". Do you know where the
photo was taken or does anyone know if coke might have been used as
a residential heating fuel in some limited areas? The areas in which
Koppers distributed their products might also help pin things down if
they can be determined.

Regards, Don Valentine