Re: coke -- a consumer product in 1950?

Rob M.

The Harold Cox book "Surface Cars of Philadelphia" (ca 1963/4/5) has
a photo of a PTC streetcar with a "Koppers Coke - Order a ton today"
advertisement.

I don't have the book handy and I can'tt recall the car type or the
year on the photo (whic was likely pre 1960's) but it would imply
that Koppers had some type of a market for residential coke in the
Philly area and thus received coke deliveries somewhere by rail.

R. Mondichak

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Storzek" <destorzek@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, michael bishop <goldrod_1@> wrote:

Koppers Coke was the largest producer of house-heating coke. Coke
as
a home heating fuel began to diminish after World War II.

http://www.koppers.com/htm/OurCo_Heri_OldBD.html

MIchael Bishop
Coke shares one important trait with Anthracite (hard) coal; it
burns
with no smoke, since all the volatiles have already been distilled
out. I don't know how it priced compared to Anthracite, but in some
parts of the country it may have been competitive.

Before the entire nation was piped for natural gas, coke was the
fuel
of choice for forges and industrial ovens, especially in metal
working, where exposure to the gasses generated by burning coal
could
change the sulfur content of the metal.

When I was a kid, the neighbor boys and their dad, all very
technically minded, built a miniature crucible furnace for sand
casting aluminum and copper alloys (it didn't produce enough heat to
do ferrous alloys). Built in a 15 pound grease can lined with fire
clay, it was fired with coke and the fire blown with an old
Electrolux
vacuum cleaner with the hose on the outlet side.

They obtained their coke supply by bartering something for a half
bag
of coke from a Water Department crew that had their wagon parked on
repair job in the neighborhood. The Water Dept. guys used coke to
keep
their "fire can" heater going without smoking up the job site,
possibly also to keep a solder pot hot.

Lots of uses for small amounts of coke years ago, and it had to be
obtainable in less-than-carload lots somewhere.

Dennis