Re: tank car question

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., "Ned Carey" <nedspam@...> commented:
c.. Seeing a person in close proximity to the manway, I am
surprised how small the manways were. It must have been a squeeze to
get into a car.

In the early '80s I worked for small specialy chemical manfacturer
Kay-Fries in Stony Point, NY.

One night I was surprised to see welding arc light coming out the top
of a reactor with a flanged opening much smaller than the one at the
end of the tank car. The man inside turned out to the oldest (and
smallest) man in the shop.

It must have been scary going into that tank car for the first time.

I'm surprised more tank cars didn't have clean out hatches.

I think it was common for men to go into covered hoppers.

Ed