Re: tank car question


In the pressure vessel business, that thing that supports the manway
flange would be called a 'davit'. Typically it's specified for any
flanges that are too heavy for one man to handle, which often means
100 lb or more.

Manway flanges were once as small as 16" or 18" nominal size, now are
normally 24", but workers are bigger now.

Ron Merrick

--- In STMFC@..., William Keene <wakeene@...> wrote:


That is an ALCO switcher...oh... you mean that round thingy...
like a bolted flange for a clean out hatch. Note that it has a
structure for when it is in the open position. Not sure what would
the load or why such a clean out procedure would be required.
interesting none the less.

-- Bill Keene
Irvine, Ca

On Feb 25, 2009, at 9:55 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

what is the odd device on the end of this tank car?

Tim O'Connor

Join to automatically receive all group messages.