Re: coke

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., WaltGCox@... wrote:
I would very much doubt it. I remember bringing home a bag of
bituminous
coal from the steam era railroad track in my neighborhood. My mom
only used a
little of it and I don't think I have ever seen or smelled such a
noxious cloud
of smoke as we had in our kitchen that day.
Walt, there were some places that didn't sell anthracite. Was coke more
wide spread than we thought? Whoever mentioned that coke is a byproduct
of illuminating gas is right. Coke must have been produced at many
locations.

Cetainly though there must have been a lot of places where neither
anthracite nor locally produced coke was available.

I've seen bituminous coal refered to as steam coal in areas where
anthracite is used for home heating.

Ed