Re: coke

Malcolm H. Houck

Compared to steelmaking uses? I seriously doubt it. But maybe
you mean for fuel use outside of the in-plant or in-company
consumption of coke made for blast furnaces.

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.290
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, _thompson@signaturepthompson_
(mailto:thompson@...)
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tony,

Yes, and I meant only as the source of coke burned outside
of areas, of course, where it was plentiful for steel making
and other metallurgical uses, and used as a heating
fuel; -- namely in the Northeast and so far as not exported
elsewhere for steel making and metallurgy uses.

I am well aware of the plentiful uses for coke as a metallurgy
necessary. An ancestor, Blausis Houck, was one of the
prospectors who discovered coal on the East Side of Broad Top
Mountain, Pennsylvania. That particular seam of coal, now
known as a part of the Fulton Seam was originally designated
as the Houck Seam., that is until it was more closely surveyed
and found to be a part of the Fulton Seam.

A part of the development of this coal seam was the
coking operation in beehive coke ovens served by the East
Broad Top RR., the development of which another
ancestor, Squire Evans, participated.

Mal Houck
**************You're invited to Hollywood's biggest party: Get Oscars
updates, red carpet pics and more at Moviefone.
(http://movies.aol.com/oscars-academy-awards?ncid=emlcntusmovi00000001)