Re: taking out broken drill bits, was "Drill Bits and MiniMate"

Victor Bitleris

Hi Claude,
So far, I have been very fortunate and have been able to retrieve these little broken pieces whenever I have done this in a cast locomotive. A plastic one should be easy, you may be able to pull it through on the inside? A cast one is more difficult, because likely it did not go through. There are two things you may wish to try. 1. using magnifiers, see if you can back it out slowly with a scriber. Once (If) you get it to the point where you have any purchase on it at all, get some very small tight closing pliers and using magnifiers, try to grab the drill and back it out with a twisting motion. You may need to do this several times. If it actually starts to move, it is just a matter of perseverance and it will come out. 2. If, on the other hand, if it just gets rounded off and loses any ability to grab it, then the only thing I know of is to make a small hole adjacent to the piece and get it out using a scriber or something like that. Of course, you will need to fill in the hole and start again. I find it is not too bad to fill in a hole in a cast locomotive. I drill the offending area out and tap it with either, an 00-90, 0-80, 0r 1-72, whichever is the smallest tap that will work. I try the brass screw in the newly tapped hole to make sure it is good, then I put some Tix flux on the screw, heat it up, put some solder to it and as soon as the solder starts to liquify, you want to screw it in right away. You get one shot at this, so it is best to leave the soldering iron on the side of the scerew and screw it in while heating up. Trust me, when done this way it isn't coming out, even if you heat it again. File it down, mark and proceed to make a new hole.

Vic Bitleris
Raleigh, NC

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:08:30 -0500
Subject: [STMFC] taking out broken drill bits, was "Drill Bits and MiniMate"

All,

I'm sure you've read my last posts asking about the Dremel Work Station and MiniMite held in the hand (drilling "freehand"). The reason for this interest: I have a locomotive shell that I was working on, using a #80 in a pin vice to drill out holes for hand grabs and, as luck would have it, or maybe cause I didn't have a steady hand :-(, said bit broke into the piece, with very little sticking out. Either I develop a steadier hand or get a drill press. But, back to the loco shell. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to extract that broken bit? When I say there isn't much sticking out, I can run my finger over it and there is hardly any catch, some yes, but not much.

Thanks

Claude

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.