Re: Interesting boat load

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

That is a very interesting set of photos, interesting on multiple levels, not the least of which is the noted ATSF flat.

Placing a wood boat like this on its side (as depicted) places a huge strain on a hull the framing of which was never designed to withstand weight bearing of this type, from this direction, nor for this length of time. In this regard it is safe to say that if you could peek into the interior of this hull you would likely have seen a forest of temporary internal bracing intending to relieve the resulting stresses. The appearance of the deck indicates to me that the superstructure (*cabin, pilot house, etc.) have been removed, and it would be interesting to note whether or not they were accompanied on other flats.

I would presume that the North Bay destination refers to North Bay, ONT on giant Lake Nipissing northeast of Georgian Bay. At least until recent years (and perhaps even now), communities on the far side of the lake on the French River seemed to largely depend on water transport from North Bay, at least one logical reason for shipping inland a boat of this size.

North Bay, Lake Nipissing, and the French River are best known in history as being on the route of the Voyageurs, transporting the furs of the Mountain Men by canoe from the head of Lake Superior on to Montreal.

Denny