From: Andy Sperandeo
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 11:09 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: weapons

Clark and Pierre,

When I was in college I worked in a hobby shop that sold both trains (including freight cars) and model airplanes. One of the things the airplane guys often did was to break in a new engine by mounting the thing in a vise, screwing on a propeller of the appropriate size, and running a few tanks of gas through it.

Now it happened every once in a while that the vibration of the running engine would loosen the grip of the vise, and the bigger and more expensive the engine the more likely this seemed to be. Our guy would see his brand new motor heading for the floor with the prop spinning at many revs. Not everyone could resist the urge to try to catch the thing before it hit the concrete. (No one does anything like this in a room with carpet!) When we saw an airplane customer come in with his hand in bandages or a cast, we could usually guess what happened.

This makes model railroad injuries seem relatively slight, but we still need to be careful. One of the best arguments for keeping a sharp new no. 11 blade in your knife is that cleaner cuts heal faster.

So long,

Andy

Andy Sperandeo
Executive Editor