Re: Gondola interior bracing; was Some WWII photos from Flickr...

Donald B. Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., "Steve Lucas" <stevelucas3@...> wrote:

These appear to be more Office of War Information photos, but this time NOT by Jack Delano.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/2179911770/in/set-72157603671370361/

A CPR boxcar being loaded with sulphur in Texas?

While the CPR box car is of interest, of more interest to me was the interior view of the offset panel gondola next to the L&A boxcar in the first photo. This is the first gondola I have seen with such diagonal cross bracing in its interior. While the reasons for it are obvious, and should create no problems with bulk loads such as sulphur, coal, gravel or other bulk commodities not effected badly by exposure to the elements, such bracing would certainly effect the utility of any cars so constructed in their ability to handle loads that I suspect a number of us would think of first when considering gondalas.

Regards, Don Valentine