Re: [Rail_Freight_Group] CB&Q to IHB 03-28-59

ATSF1226

Eldon,
I would think that all of this stuff coming form other sources would be as processed metals and not as raw ore. Even the Iron Ore from the Great Lakes area comes in as pellets. Doesn't make much sense to ship Iron Ore from Colorado when Colorado Fuel and Iron was having to bring in Iron Ore from Wyoming and Utah to meet demands. Did the Chicago area mills have the ability to process raw ore?

Would like to hear more on this subject.

George A Walls

Just to give you a reminder as to how far this stuff was coming from afield,
you had calcium carbide from many locations in the US; Chromium from abroad,
with small amounts from MT, CA, OR and AL; Cobalt from the Congo, MO, ID, and
PA; Dolomite and Limestone from all over the place; Ferro-Manganese from
various sources ( still digging on this one); Fluorspar from Southern
Illinois; Manganese from India, S. Africa, Gold Coast, Cuba, the Belgian
Congo, Brazil, then MN, AK, SD, AZ, NV and MN; Molybdenum from Colorado,
Nickle from Canada; Scrap from all over the US; Soda Ash from different
places in the US; Tungsten from Korea, Bolivia, Spain, Portugal, Canada,
Mexico, Brazil, and small amounts from ID and NV; and of course, iron ore
from the Lakes Region (<80% in 1953 and <60% by 1960), Canada, Cuba,
Venezuela, Sweden, Brazil, Liberia and Sierra Leone (very little from any
other areas of the US). There are others...

Many of these did not constitute "full" loads when seen in a hopper, and
further, some were shipped in covered hoppers and container gons, to
facilitate weather resistance and/or handling. It is a great area of
research.

I eagerly await more definitive info on who, exactly, what shipping what,
where and when, and this info just whets my appetite.

Thanks, Russ!

Elden Gatwood