Re: Freight cars equipped with skids & covers

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Elden,

Are you talking about covered gondolas here? If so, between 1957 and 1964 the WP rebuilt 24 of its 6501-class 53' mill gondolas with removable roofs, and also two of its 9001-class 65' mill gons. I don't know how many were rebuilt within our STMFC time frame (I lack a complete run of ORERs for this period), and since I'm at work now I can't check on what these cars were renumbered to. I can check when I get back from the Coast in mid-April if needed. The cars were used between Geneva, Utah, and Pittsburg (note: no "H"), California, in coil service for U.S. Steel. Information on this operation can be found on my web site at: http://people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/steel.html and http://people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/gon.html . Color photos and other data may be found in Jim Eager's WESTERN PACIFIC COLOR GUIDE TO PASSENGER AND FREIGHT EQUIPMENT from Morning Sun.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

Folks;

What railroads do you know of that had cars equipped with skids & covers for
coiled steel sheet shipment? I am most interested in cars equipped with
skids & covers, not purpose-built "coil cars".
I do know that NKP, B&O, Erie, P&WV, URR, DT&I, and PRR had their own
versions, and would be very interested in anyone knew of sources for photos
of these cars, also.

Do you know what dates these might have been put on a specific road? I
already know some of the history of their development; I am trying to flesh
out the magnitude of this service being offered by the RRs, and the details
on each car.

Thanks!

Elden Gatwood