Re: Freight cars equipped with covers.

CJ Riley

--- On Wed, 4/1/09, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@usace.army.mil> wrote:

From: Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@usace.army.mil>
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re:Freight cars equipped with covers.
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, April 1, 2009, 8:04 AM

It appears that only hot-rolled coil was laid "eye up".

Too much damage could be done to high-quality cold-rolled sheet when trying to unload it if you did not load it with the eye to the side. My friend that worked at USS Irvin had a lot of stories about coil mishaps.

My Dad liked to tell stories about the J&L mill when a visiting customer of high enough rank was on tour, the last roller would be tightened down, causing the quickly moving sheet behind it to shoot up to the ceiling in a mess of random coils before the line could be stopped. Then some poor SOB would have to cut the ness apart with torches to get the line rolling again. I always hoped they didn't do this often.CJ Riley
from a J&L family