Re: Move to Santa Fe country

brianehni <behni@...>

Amen to that; my move to Tennessee 20 years ago has not caused me to shift focus to the CSX, NS, or any of their predecessor lines. I remain focused on what I started with: the Rock Island, with subsidiary interest in other Texas lines.

Brian Ehni

Santa what?? I'm racking my brain but I can't quite place that
name. Wasn't that some little, insignificant railroad out in the
desert wastelands somewhere? Run by some guy named Harvey?

Gene, stick with what you know! You can take yourself out of
the midwest but you may find it hard to take the midwest out
of your memories.

Tim O'Connor

At 4/1/2009 10:12 PM Wednesday, you wrote:
On Apr 1, 2009, at 12:47 PM, Gene Green wrote:
Sometime this year we will move to Belen, New Mexico which is
strictly Santa Fe country. Will I have to throw away all my M&StL
stuff and buy all Santa Fe equipment?
Yes, of course. But think of what you'll get as a trade-off. Since
Belen was the western end of the Pecos Division, you'll need both
2-10-4s and 4-8-4s of a size and elegance that the M&StL never
imagined, as well as (depending on the date you model) big brawny
3800 class 2-10-2s, freight FTs, and passenger F-3s in Warbonnet P/
L. You'll also need a bunch of map/slogan reefers and box cars and
some Caswell gondolas, all readily available in HO. You won't need
to model the Super Chief, El Cap, etc. but you will need the Grand
Canyon and the Scout, so lotsa heavyweight passenger equipment. If
that all seems like too much, you could model the El Paso district
from Belen south, with a lot of freight traffic but only one
passenger train each way (#13-14). And you can draw on the resources
of a large and very active historical society. Of course, you can
still keep some M&StL freight cars, as those traveled widely in
interchange. Welcome to big time class 1 railroading!

Richard Hendrickson