Re: Need information about several freight cars, circa Nov 1955-Sept 1957

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Erickson" <pattirobpatti@...> wrote:

Out of almost 2300 cars listed, I am still stumped by the following:

SOO 17473
I believe you have a typo / missing digit here.

SOO 17000 - 17998 were 34' 4" sixty ton cars built sometime around 1900. I doubt any were still in service in the fifties. However, this series was even numbers only, so that's not it.

There is no 174000 series, so it doesn't appear to be a missing last digit.

There is no 17400 series using the odd numbers; the Soo had a lot of odd only and even only number series, but if the used one, they didn't use the other in the same number series.

Soo did have a series of 50 ton steel gondolas numbered 7001 - 7499 odd numbers only. These were built in 1923 and must have originally been composit cars. 178 cars were still on the roster 1-1-62. Could the number have been 7473?

Dennis