Re: Santa Fe TOFC Flats

charles slater

Joe to answer your question on the early "Super C" trains a good book reference is Joe McMillan's "Route Of The Warbonnets" as there are many pictures of that train from the test runs to the end of that service.

In 1968 the only Santa Fe TOFC cars painted white were the 30 Mark 5 Flexi-Van cars in the Ft-65 class built in Jan 1968, and there are photos of them running in the "Super C" train. All other Santa Fe TOFC cars such as the Ft-L, M, N, T, W, 5, 11, 16, 23, 26, 38 and 46 class cars were painted mineral brown with white lettering in the late 1960's.

TOFC cars painted white did not reappear until the Ft-92 class "six pack" car was built in May 1977 at the Topeks shops. It was painted white with dark blue lettering and did run on the back of the Super C (198 and 891 train) just ahead of the caboose for testng. That car was later rebuilt into a 10-Pack car at Topeka in April 1978 by adding four more center units.

The TOFC cars painted white in the 1990's ment that they were not equipped with collapsible trailer hitches that would drop down for loading and could only be loaded by lifting the trailers on or off.

In the late 1960's all TOFC cars were loaded "circus style" and the trailers were driven on and off the flat cars.

Charlie Slater

Bakersfield, Ca.

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 21:47:23 -0700
Subject: [STMFC] Santa Fe TOFC Flats

Does anybody have an ORER for 1968 that could look up some car number ranges
for me, please. I am modeling the Santa Fe Inaugural Super C and have seven
unpainted 89' TOFC flats. I know they were painted white. But I don't have
access to an ORER that old.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Joe Melhorn
Orangevale, CA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.