Re: Need information about several freight cars, circa Nov 1955-S...

Charles Hladik

Rob,
Could the "T" mean "transit"? The 110 ton sounds about right for an RS
and the "diesel" desigantaion for cargo.............
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 4/6/2009 12:17:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
railsnw@worldnet.att.net writes:

Rob,

I don't think we are looking at a car but at a diesel locomotive. Spokane,
Portland and Seattle Ry. Alco RS-3 #98 was built in November 1955 as builders
number 81702. Not sure about the T designation.

Richard Wilkens

--- In _STMFC@yahoogroups.STM_ (mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com) , "Rob
Erickson" <pattirobpatti@pat> wrote:

David, this car was reported in NYC Train LS7 on Friday, November 24,
1955, between Toledo, OH, and Elkhart, IN. This is how it appears in the
transcription:

Initials Kind Number Wt./Tons Cargo Destination
SPS T 98 110 Diesel Vancouver, WA

I posted an inquiry about this tank car and several others in February
2009 and received a reply that there was no such number, as the SP&S tank cars
were in the 38000-series (see Message #79347). I then found a reference on the
SP&S Hist. Society's website for an Intermountain tank car decorated as
SP&S X-85. This led me to think that perhaps the car in Train LS7 was SP&S X-98,
although it seemed odd that such an "X" car would be so far from its home
rails.

This car is truly a puzzlement.

Thanks,
Rob Erickson

--- In _STMFC@yahoogroups.STM_ (mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com) , David
Turner <spsrwyfan@> wrote:

...snip
> SP&S X-98 TM
snip...

From 02/03/1954 to 03/11/1957, SP&S X-98 (second) was a MOW
flat car, 40 ft seven inches between end sills, 40 ton,
truss-rod, steel center sill, eleven stake pockets, with a
4,000 gallon water tank mounted. It was purchased from
parent GN in 1945 and up until 1954, it was flatcar #31620
in revenue service. In 1940, GN had converted a Haskell &
Barker boxcar, built 1913, to a flat car, and renumbered it
to the 62000 series.

There are photos of a similar car, X-104, on pages 48 and
100 of Ed Austin's "Spokane, Portland and Seattle Color
Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment, Morning Sun Books,
1998. It is unknown if the tank on X-98 was the same
appearance as the one shown on X-104.
> I would appreciate hearing more about when and where this
car was reported.

Cheers,
David Turner
Keeping the S. P. & S. Rwy alive in Santa Rosa, California

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221621488x1201450096/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
%3D62%26bcd%3DAprilfooterNO62)