Re: What's in the hole?

seaboard_1966

OK, here we go....I am an engineer for a class one railroad so I guess that sort of means I SHOULD know what is going on here.

When one "dumps" the air that is generally meant to be an emergency application of the brakes. This causes the brakes on the train to apply.

Now, when you operate the release rod you are releasing air left in the air system on the car, dumping is not the proper term here. Releasing is....If you release the air in a previously "dumped" car the brakes on the car will indeed release. This is what is done before cars as switched, either flat or over a hump. Also, over time, the air in a car will bleed off. This will result in the release of the brakes and may result in a car rolling free, hence handbrakes and derails.

DB

----- Original Message -----
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: "Tim O'Connor" <timboconnor@comcast.net>
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: What's in the hole?

I could be wrong but when you dump the air the brakes set, not release. I believe air pressure is applied to release. If the air is dumped then brakes apply.

I stand to be corrected though.

Robert Federle
---- Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net> wrote:

Brake release rod -- when the brakeman wants to dump the
air from the reservoir to release the brakes. All freight
cars have them but they're rarely modeled.

Tim O'Connor

At 4/6/2009 10:10 AM Monday, you wrote:
I took some photos last year of a GSC flat car. I even took a photo of the oval access hole in the one side. There's something back there. I'd like to know what it is.
Thanks,
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.238 / Virus Database: 270.11.43/2043 - Release Date: 04/06/09 06:22:00

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.