Re: Enterprise hopper door hardware

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 7, 2009, at 2:36 PM, water.kresse@comcast.net wrote:
I have been told by an experienced, retired sub-divisional engineer
that you "could" dump gravel "in to be seriously raised gravel
roadbeds" faster in a modified (restricted gravel flow via door
chains and internal timbers) coal hopper than in a standard
convertible ballast hopper car? . . . if you are good and you are
lucky enough that nobody gets injuried and the additional dust
doesn't get you . . . apparently in a controlled happening. That
is what you need when you build a branch in a swamp or flood plain.

Yes, but the point Tony has been trying to make (in what seems to me
an admirably non-abrasive fashion) is that the Southern Pacific did
not do so. It is well documented that the triple hoppers under
discussion were built for a specific purpose on the T&NO and were in
assigned service in Texas until nearly the end of the period covered
by this list, and there is no evidence that they ever turned up in
Oregon, where there was almost zero traffic that required cross
hoppers. Of course, one can say that, well, on my imaginary version
of the Podunk subdivision yadayadayada, but then you've started down
the slippery slope at the bottom of which anything goes, and at the
extreme bottom of which one finds giraffe cars with holes in the roof.

Richard Hendrickson