Re: Axle lengths...

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Lucas" <stevelucas3@...> wrote:

Just a thought. I have watched plain bearing wheelsets move back and forth laterally while these trucks were in motion. So maybe a little side play is actually quite prototypical, or does this readily translate to a model? Or is it desirable, considering model "needlepoint" journal versus prototype truck cylindrical journal construction?

Steve Lucas.
It strikes me that side-to-side play in our model trucks (HO at least) would cause the car to move up and down on one side or alternating up and down movements on each side. Just how notieable that would be is another question. And, as a practical matter, would the side-to-side movement cause difficulty with tracking or coupling?

Perhaps that would replicate the weaving and bobbing we often see or saw in passing freight trains.

Gene Green