From: Anthony Thompson <thompson@signaturepress.com>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Illinois coalfields and hopper
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, April 19, 2009, 12:22 PM

Brad Hanner wrote:

As for the term "slag" used to descibe the piles located near the
mines I described, I can only say that that is the term I always
heard people use to refer to them. Having grown up around them I
was told that this "slag" was the waste or unprofitable dirt and
mineral excavated to get to the coal.

This may be the local term, Brad, but I agree with CJ: it's a

misnomer. Not only will any dictionary agree, so will anyone

knowledgeable about mining or metallurgy.

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress. com

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturep ress.com

Publishers of books on railroad history