Re: Bill Schneider to Rapido Trains

Alan Palmer <rrgeekdev@...>

The only issue I see, is the price. Rapido has a higher price point on
their products compared to others. If they branch into the US car
market, are they going to be similar to what the RTR prices are for
Branchline and such? Or are they going to be setting a new
affordability bar?

Alan

2009/4/20 Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>:
Some background about Rapido Trains--

Owned by Jason Shron, a self-admitted "rivet counter", Rapido Trains concentrates on very accurate RTR HO and N scale models of Canadian passenger equipment that was running in the mid-1980's.

http://www.rapidotrains.com/index2.html

They started with CN Pullman and CC&F passenger equipment built in the mid-1950's.

http://www.rapidotrains.com/scl04c.html

Excellent and reasonably priced models all, and the level of detail on these cars has given the competition (Walthers especially) a run for their money.

They are bringing out a complete 10-car set with three F-units for CPR's Budd-built "The Canadian".

The Osgood-Bradley coaches coming out soon from them are Jason's first models of US cars.

http://www.rapidotrains.com/obproject01.html

And the detail on them is of the same quality as other Rapido cars--

http://www.rapidotrains.com/obproject02.html

A new freight car line has been started, the first car being a CPR wide-vision caboose built from the late 1960's to 1980.

http://www.rapidotrains.com/tyard01.htm

I should mention that Jason already has been besieged by we Canadians for more, more, MORE, models of Canadian cars.  With Bill Schneider joining Rapido, US prototype modellers are in for a treat.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "Mike Brock" <brockm@...> wrote:

I received a most interesting message yesterday which I think I'll share
with the group.

Bill Schneider of Branchline Trains will be joining Rapido Trains as of May
1. Bill will be working to develop models of American prototypes for Rapido
so get your wish lists together. I understand that freight cars are in the
mix.

I understand also that part of the deal is that Bill...and perhaps Jason
Shron, president of Rapido, as well...will need to find there way down to
Cocoa Beach next Jan 7-10 in order to well...warm up...and to ferret out the
best candidates for American prototypes. Included, of course, will be my
personal list...UP this and UP that...although a good model of the NYC 1922
USRA clone/1923 AAR steel box car would not be a bad idea. So...get your
pencils sharpened.

Let's see. Branchline Bill will now be Rapid Bill? Given that Bill is a
major player in my Prototype Rails op session, somehow the term "rapid"
doesn't seem to apply...as anyone who has attended my session can atest to.
Still, it will be interesting to see if we things speed up.

Hmmm. A UP HK-50-1?

Mike Brock

Alan Palmer
http://rrgeekdev.googlepages.com/home