From: rwitt_2000 <rwitt_2000@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 10:16 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Re: B&O M-15k, M-15L & M-53 Wagontop Boxcars

--- In STMFC@...,Rich Orr wrote:
"The M15K is a single door car.?"

Yes

"The M15L is a staggered double door car.? "

Yes

"Both have an interior length of 40' 6" and a capacity of 80 tons and
built between 1910 and 1924.?"

Both these classes had an interior height of 10'-0" and the cubic
capacity essentially matched that of the AAR 1937 standard boxcar. The
capacities were 40 tons or 80,000 lbs. Those are the built dates for the
original class M-15 with steel underframes and double-sheathed wood
superstructures as model by Westerfield. The cars were rebuilt with the
all steel wagon-top bodies between 1936 and 1937.

"The M53 has the Duryea underframe the other two do not.? It is also a
40' 6" car with a 100 ton capacity. and built 1937-38."

Yes, as stated the M-15K and M-15L used the original fish-belly
underframes. These B&O rebuilt boxcars are really not too different
than steel boxcar bodies placed on old USRA undeframes. The capacity for
the M-53 was 50-tons or 100,000 lbs.

I have posted this before, but the truck spacing on both the Sunshine
and F&C M-15K is too short. Although I have not built the model I have
considered using the underframe from the Westerfield kit as it is more
accurate and has the correct truck spacing.

It should be OK to use the West Shore M-53 kit with modifications to
model the M-15K because information on the blueprints states that the
body panels and end sheets are the same for the M-15K and M-53.

Bob Witt
Indianapolis, Indiana

Can'