Re: FGEX /WFEX/BREX cars - CABBAGE SHIPPING

lnbill <bwelch@...>

There is a beautiful photo I am planning to order soon from the Library of Congress somewhere on the N&W of farmers loading cabbage from their farm wagons into FGE cars. I believe that cabbage was not top iced but rather depended on the ice in the end bunkers to keep it viable. I will look when I get a chance at the information I have from the USDA Archives to see if I have infomration on this crop. I have managed to find infomration like this for the book I am researching and have actually begun writing.

I don't know if they would have shipped cabbage in Ventilated Boxcars, but if the weather was right, they may have shipped it in reefers under ventilation. I am not sure what the temperature requirments were for cabbage.

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., water.kresse@... wrote:

Bill,

A recent N&W list noted that they shipped iced cabbage in reefers southbound from Virginia.

Would you ice cabbage like water mellon directly and just close up the car.  Would they also use insulated ventilator boxes for cabbage shipping?

Al
From: Tim O'Connor

I have an excellent builder shot of WHIX 70290 --

ELECTRIC
AIR CIRCULATING FANS
STAGE ICING
SIDE WALL FLUES

A builder photo of WHIX 70000 omits the "ELECTRIC" stencil.
No mention of half stage anything. I have no clear photos
of the small lettering on FHIX cars.