Re: CABBAGE SHIPPING

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Doug Harding wrote:
Al I interviewed a fellow once whose family raised cabbages in eastern Iowa for the Army during WWII. He reported the cabbages were loaded into burlap gunny sacks and sewn shut in the field, then the sacks were loaded into the reefers sitting along side the fields. I can only assume the cars were pre-cooled.
Good story, Doug. Just a miniscule point on terminology, drawn from the Protective Service Tariffs: cars were pre-iced, loads were pre-cooled. So the term here regarding the cars should be "pre-iced." That is, if you want to follow prototype practice <g>.

Publishers of books on railroad history