Re: CABBAGE SHIPPING

water.kresse@...

From the string of responses, if the C&O supplied room temp insulated ventilator boxes, for short runs, they weren't charging a protection tarif? . . . maybe just for an top icing and take your chances?

Al Kresse

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony Thompson" <thompson@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:56:44 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [STMFC] Re: CABBAGE SHIPPING

Doug Harding wrote:
Al I interviewed a fellow once whose family raised cabbages in
eastern Iowa for the Army during WWII. He reported the cabbages were
loaded into burlap gunny sacks and sewn shut in the field, then the
sacks were loaded into the reefers sitting along side the fields. I
can only assume the cars were pre-cooled.
        Good story, Doug. Just a miniscule point on terminology, drawn
from the Protective Service Tariffs: cars were pre-iced, loads were
pre-cooled. So the term here regarding the cars should be "pre-iced."
That is, if you want to follow prototype practice <g>.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history