Re: The Steam Era

gn3397 <heninger@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Madden" <tgmadden@...> wrote:

That summer of 1950 my 14-year old self found nothing of interest in a 70-year look-back. Today's young modelers - whether 14, 24 or 34 - looking back 70 years find themselves smack in the middle of our era of interest. Should we expect them to find it interesting? These are people who lament the loss of Conrail, and consider it a Fallen Flag worthy of their attention.

Maybe I'm overreacting (again), but as I watch our 1960 cut-off date recede further and further into the past I fear that the Steam Era, and those of us who love it, will become ignored anachronisms for today's modelers, like the 1880's did for me.

Tom Madden
Oh, I don't know about that. I am 33, but I am definitely a steam era modeler. Ted Culotta, Jimmy Booth, and Jon Cagle don't look like they were around to remember mainline steam in its prime either, but they are busy producing beautiful models of steam era prototypes. I think there will always be interest in the steam/transition era, as there is just too much variety in roadnames, freight car construction techniques, locomotives, operations, etc. The percentage of transition era modelers may shrink, but I don't think we will ever disappear.

FWIW, I don't lament the loss of Conrail, either.

Sincerely,
Robert D. Heninger
Iowa CIty, IA

SIncerely,